||Browsing: 25 minutes Reporting: 20 minutes
- To gain a better understanding of how legislative decision-making procedures evolve in practice
- To learn how to navigate the EP’s Legislative Observatory as well as get acquainted with Pre-lex
||In this exercise you will follow the legislative track of a piece of legislation adopted under the ordinary legislative procedure. The European Parliament has a very useful website that allows you to follow the legislative steps as well as summarizes the major events in every stage of the procedure.
- Go to the EP’s Legislative Observatory search form:
- Leave the search field empty and press OK
- You will now get a list with all documents and on the left hand a menu allowing you to refine your search.
- Under Parliamentary Term select ‘8th term 2014-2019’
- Under Type of legislative act select ‘Regulation’ or ‘Directive’
- Under Procedure Status select ‘Completed’
- Click on any of the decisions adopted. You will now get an overview of the different stages and summaries for every stage. (There may also be a link to Pre-Lex, the Commission’s database. This allows you to further scrutinize the stages of the procedure)
- Using Oeil (and if necessary Pre-Lex) Summarize the different steps in the procedure and compare this to the sequence set out in figure 4.1 of the book (p.84)
- To what extent has the original proposal been modified by Council and/or EP? Make use of the summaries offered on the Oeil website in order to answer this question.