||Browsing: 25 minutes Reporting: 25 minutes
- To examine the voting behaviour of MEPs and analyze differences in political cohesion when ranking MEPs by groups and by member state.
- To familiarize yourself with the EP’s voting records and ParlTrack.
||In chapter 7, it has become clear that members of the European Parliament predominantly vote along the ideological lines of their political group and not so much on the basis of their nationality. In this exercise, you will compare the cohesiveness of different groups.
- Go to the ParlTrack website.
- Click on Dossiers.
- Set Stage reached to ‘Inactive’.
- Browse the dossiers and select one where the voting result is included. (You can see this by clicking on each dossier and seeing whether it has a Votes subsection.)
- Click on Votes and study the table – it shows you the votes in relation to the MEPs’ party and nationality.
- Compare the cohesion rates between political groups as well as between member states.
- Do the results match the overview of party group cohesion in chapter 7?
© All exercises copyright Herman Lelieveldt and Sebastiaan Princen 2022
Cambridge University Press