||Browsing: 20 minutes Reporting: 30 minutes
- To gain a better understanding of the properties of EU interest groups and the strategic considerations they face
- To learn to use the interest group register of the EU
||The EU has attracted many interest groups across a wide range of issues. These interest groups seek ways to influence public policy. You will try to find out who these interest groups are and what strategies they use to influence EU legislation
- The Commission’s Civil Society website hosts a register of interest groups
- On the ‘Consult the Register’ tab, choose the Statistics option. This will give you an overview of the different types of interests groups which are represented.
- What types of interest groups are distinguished and what does the relative size of these groups tell you about interest representation in the EU? Which interests does this group represent?
- Select an umbrella group from the category of professional associations or association of NGOs and go to the website of that group.
- What are important issues for this group at the moment? How would you advise them to lobby the EU? (Think about the institutions they should target, the lobbying strategy they should use etc.)
||http://ec.europa.eu/civil_society/index_en.htm https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/transparency/regrin/welcome.do?locale=en#en https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/transparency/regrin/consultation/listlobbyists.do?reset=