||Watching: 60 minutes Reporting: 30 minutes (Approx. 500 words)
- To see how the European Council seeks consensus in practice.
- To detect negotiation strategies used by the relevant actors.
||Chapter 10 describes the way negotiations are conducted between member states in the Council and the European Council. In this exercise, you will see the European Council in action and will be asked to detect the negotiation strategies that are employed by member states and other actors.
- Read chapter 10.
- Select and read one of the Conclusions from a recent European Council meeting
- Familiarize yourself with the key issues and debates at that summit by checking out newsreports by EU media such as Politico or Euractiv
- Try to find at least two examples of an individual member state and/or a member state group using negotiating strategies listed in the chapter.
- Don’t forget to take the European Commission and European Council president Charles Michel into account; they also use negotiating strategies to bring member states together and facilitate compromise.
- In your view, who has been the most succesful in the negotiations? Why?
© All exercises copyright Herman Lelieveldt and Sebastiaan Princen 2022
Cambridge University Press