||Browsing: 20 minutes Reporting: 10 minutes
- To evaluate critically claims about the EU budget
- To learn how to work with the EU’s budget data
||Chapter 8 has given an overview of the revenues and expenditures of the EU. The EU budget is often criticized for being too large and/or inefficient. In order to counter such claims, the European Commission has created a website on which it tries to debunk a number of ‘EU budget myths’. In this exercise you will evaluate some of these myths and the argument(s) the Commission presents against them.
- Go to the European Commission’s website on ‘EU budget myths’:
- Choose two ‘myths’ that the Commission discusses on this page and read the arguments of the Commission against them.
||For each of the two myths you have selected answer the following questions
- Are the claims the Commission makes supported by the figures given in Chapter 8?
- What (implicit or explicit) normative position does the Commission take in debunking the myth?
- In conclusion: do you agree with the arguments of the Commission or not?