||Browsing: 20 minutes Reporting: 25 minutes
- To find out to what extent decision-making in comitology committees is technical or may be politicized.
- To learn to work with the online comitology register.
||The comitology system forms an integral part of the implementation phase of EU policy-making. In this exercise, you will take a closer look at the activities of these committees by browsing their website.
- Access the comitology register of the European Commission.
- Click on Search the register.
- Under the heading Service responsible, you can choose a specific policy area.
- Select a committe from the list.
- Under Meetings, select a meeting and read its agenda. (Bear in mind that the agendas published vary in level of detail. To complete this excercise, you’ll need to find a more detailed agenda.) Based on what you have read, answer the following questions:
- Give a brief summary of the topics that were discussed during that meeting.
- Were any decisions taken during the meeting? If so, were they purely technical decisions, or would you say that they are (to some extent) political in character?
© All exercises copyright Herman Lelieveldt and Sebastiaan Princen 2022
Cambridge University Press